Sunday, October 5, 2008

Large Pot of Yellow Chrysanthemums



















oil on masonite
6"x5"

Yesterday morning I went out to buy some gourds and some Chrysanthemum plants for the front porch. My intention was to paint the gourds, and so I spent three hours trying to put together a good composition of the absurdly shaped and grotesquely warted things. I finally gave up, since I felt totally uninspired. If I'm uninspired, I just can't make my brush move.
Then last night in bed I realized that the generous pot of yellow mums are what I really wanted to paint. So here they are.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. Yellow is a hard color to paint but you're done a magnificent job. I like the way you painted the mums without defining every petel. Very nice.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your gourd feelings - glad you chose the flowers for which you painted a good sense of light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You chose the right thing to paint. This is lovely. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com