Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Busy Rooftop Scene, Manayunk

pen and ink wash 7"x7"

I spent this weekend working in Manayunk again, hiking up and down the hills to find interesting views until I got a blister. Here is a dense scene looking east towards an unnamed church. 

Sometimes I find the subject of pure landscape a little monotonous to paint, especially here in the Northeast with the relentless greens of spring and summer. If I can find a neighborhood with lots of hills and architecture, I'm happy.

I do have one question about pen and ink wash, and if you have any experience with it I'd love your feedback. Why is it that everytime my pen accidentally leaves a big old BLOT, it's always in a spot that I needed to keep pure white, NEVER in a shadow area?

My last spring class came to an end last night, and while I'll miss my hard-working and enthusiastic students, I'm glad that I'll be able to put more focus on my work for a while. 

1 comment:

  1. I've worked with pen and ink very little. I do like the look and your Busy Rooftop Scene is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com