Saturday, July 27, 2013

Old Quebec Rooftop Scene with the Hotel Frontenac

Graphite 4 3/8" x 9 3/4"

At last I've included the famous Hotel Frontenac in a drawing, even if just one section, or slice of it. If I haven't come up with a composition that excites me. I have so much trouble with motivation. I like unexpected views and surprising croppings, and coming up with the right mix can take me a long, long time.

When I first arrived in Quebec, I was obsessed with this famous hotel, thinking that OF COURSE it would have to be the first thing I drew or painted. Now, with the help of a friend's insight, I realize that when a subject is too well known it can be the most difficult subject. Finding something new to say about a tourist attraction- and all of old Quebec is a tourist attraction- it is quite a challenge.

Here is a more typical view of the famous hotel, partly under renovation:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com