Sunday, May 4, 2014

Painting Planning

It's been a wrenching process to get away from the Daily Painting mindset. I often hear a nagging voice in my head asking when I'm going to post something on this blog, but right now I want to paint the best I know how, and I don't think my best work is stuff I complete in a couple days.

I'm going to show you a couple of my older paintings of interiors with still life that I'm using as guides for my current work, although I don't want to replicate the style too closely. These two images are digital files from old slides:

Studio Interior oil on canvas 

Studio Table and Plant oil on canvas

I've been doing a lot of drawing, trying to work out ideas for longer-term paintings.  I'm in the midst of a painting now that I'm excited about, but I've had a few false starts. 

Another thing- I'm chucking my camera for a while. From the working drawing to the painting's end, I'm not relying on any photographs. Not that that's a terrible thing, but I believe working from life gives a painting a more personal feeling. 

Here are some current drawings/ideas for paintings:






 Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

  1. Taryn, I think a lot of artists got into painting a painting for a daily viewing and real life painting does not always lend itself to a quick turn around. Your thoughtful approach to your new work is most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is a never ending journey. The fact that you are making different choices in how to go about your work is a validation of that. Someday, I hope I can get there, painting more from life. I truly admire you and your work. You are a wonderful artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaethe, I love hearing from you.

      Delete
  3. I like your approach to painting. I've been going through much of the same. It's good to hear from Ruth and Kaethe, too. Your drawings are beautiful, as well as your paintings. I enjoy seeing all your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. It's good to hear there are others working through this same issue.

      Delete
  4. these are all fantastic, from the drawings to the paintings, esp the studio table with plant...wow!
    you deserve a wider audience and much more recognition...i wonder if much of that problem is a consistency/self doubt thing? I also know that it can be a real pain when the average gallery or art collector doesn't know the difference between ok/good/excellent/and great. these are great paintings and would sit comfortably beside any modern realist artist. just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon, it's always great to hear from you. What can I say other than a deeply felt thank you?

      Delete
  5. I really love these interiors--and your drawings are beautifully done, too. (I'll admit that a lot of my own work tends toward the same kind of subject so I do have a weakness for it.) From what I've seen locally (Chester County) your asking prices don't seem out of line especially for such wonderful work. I think pricing is a problem for all artists--especially those of us who work slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I'd love to see your work if you care to send a link. As for pricing, thanks for saying that my paintings are priced in line with what else you see out there. The problem for many of my artist friends who show in galleries is that their work hasn't been selling well since the recession, but the Daily Painters have done better.

      Delete
    2. I hate to admit this, but I'm still trying to get the basics of photographing things for posting down. I'm back drawing & painting after not doing anything for a long time. Right now, I'm trying to work in pastel--a medium I had not used before and am still finding my way. When I get too discouraged I fall back on graphite drawing where I'm more comfortable.Thanks for your interest. At the recent Yellow Springs Show, pricing seemed to be all over the lot and since I went early, I couldn't gauge how & what was selling. There is a variety of styles at this show--which is encouraging.

      Delete
  6. Very strong drawings. Wonderful palette in the painting. Interesting to see the two come together.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com