Sunday, March 20, 2016

Parallels

oil on linen mounted on board 12"x12"
purchase

Another long-term painting. Here's a question: What do you think is preferable, a brisk output of good work (at least some of it good), or slow output of better work? Lately I'm leaning towards the slow approach. 

An alternate title could be "Daffodil in Winter" because even though today is the first day of spring, I started this in February.

I like the way the daffodil seems to be caught in a prison of parallels, and leans longingly towards the outdoors and its own image, which is another kind of parallel. 




5 comments:

  1. One of your all time greats Taryn! John Thornton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taryn, I'm a fan of both. I think that more time at the painting doesn't always produce better work. Your painting's design is a multi-layered one of the concept of "parallel". I think the layers of your thinking make good work better work, especially when you render as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a preference and do both. Some of my best work has been done in a couple of days. I do like taking time with larger works. Having time in between sessions allows me to critique what I have done and what I need to work on. Your work is amazing Taryn!








    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. The square format, with the steep diagonal and solid objects, is very striking. Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work knocks my socks off - no matter fast or slow

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important to me- I love to hear what you think. Any private questions? Send an email to awakeandpainting@gmail.com